A Beginner’s Guide to Copywriting

0

I’ve been doing a lot of copywriting lately, and let me tell you something – copywriting can be deceptively difficult!

 

I felt the need to boost my copy skills so I did some research and lots of reading. Experts, Gurus, coaches, webinars, guides, blogs, Reddit, Quora… I went everywhere. And I think I learned a lot.

I wanted to share my findings with you, my Future peeps.

Next, you’ll find a 10 step list compiled from various best practices, tips and general guidelines from all kinds of sources and copy experts.

All sprinkled up with some quotes and examples I found along the way.

Here it goes…

1. Define Person, Problem and Pain

 

Effective copywriting starts by getting to know your audience, how they talk and the situations or problem they want to change.

“Without this foundational insight, your marketing activities will be suboptimal at best.”

2. Sound Like a Human

 

Unless you’re selling robots or to robots, please don’t talk like one. We have no problem speaking casually when talking face to face, but whenever people sit down to write copy, they tend to go full formal.

“You. Are. Not. A. Robot. Affirmative.”

Image Source

Tweet this: Unless you’re selling robots or to robots, please don’t talk like one

3. People Don’t Reject You But Rather Your Approach

 

When writing, there’s often a gap between how we think we’re perceived and how people actually perceive us. If your ad, landing page, website or email isn’t converting as you’d like, don’t panic. Just ask yourself “Why are my readers rejecting my approach?”. Analytical data will help you answer this question.

Analytical data will help you answer this question.

“If your approach doesn’t perform – don’t worry. Tweak, improve and retry. Nobody gets it perfect on the first try.”

4. Best Approach – Gain Trust and Respect

 

This can be hard to achieve as prospects will judge you within the first 8 seconds after seeing your site. In this short span, people will make their mind so consider using testimonials (for trust), and displaying logos, credentials or awards (for respect).

“First impressions are everything. People care about what you can do to a certain degree. But they care much more about whether they like you.”

Tweet this: People care about what you can do. But they care more about whether they like you.

5. Amplify Problem and Push Aspiration (often neglected)

 

Magnify the potential customer’s problem while appealing to an ideal future state that he can achieve.

“Before painting a picture of paradise for a potential purchaser, you have to lay out the consequences of not solving their problem.”

6. Build Solution Stories

 

Build a story to compel and inspire the potential client, paint a verbal picture that clearly demonstrates how the problem can be solved.

“Mark was this frustrated business owner who was on the edge of bankruptcy, whose family lost faith in him, and out of desperation tried one last idea that changed his life…” will beat “One day Bob figured out the answer” every single time.

7. Talk About The Destination, Not The Vehicle ❤️

 

This is my favorite.

Potential buyers don’t want the features you’re providing. They want the benefits.

“When buying weights, people aren’t doing it because they simply love weights but because they want the lean and healthy body they saw in the ad.”

Tweet this: Copywriting tip: Talk about the destination, not the vehicle

8. Offer

 

Lay out your offer that explains EXACTLY what the customer can expect if they decide to buy.

“This explanation should only account for 20% of the offer copy. The other 80% of it needs to clearly link back to the benefits your clients will receive.”

9. Ask Them To Act Now

 

Ask the potential customer to buy from you.

“You shouldn’t be shy about making the request to purchase. If they’re still with you at this point, you need to tell the customer exactly what to do because you’ve already earned the right to do so.”

Also, this part often contains the weakest copy.

10. Close With The Call-To-Action

 

There is no “best” CTA.

It all depends on what your prospects have seen from you up to that point and what you’re offering them. However, statistics show that offering something for free (e-book, trial…) achieves the best conversions.

“Everyone likes free stuff! And everyone wants to work with a generous person.”

Image Source

Tweet this: Everyone likes free stuff! And everyone wants to work with a generous person.


So that’s it.

Hopefully, this will help some of you guys.

For even more content, you can visit our FB group where we post daily.

Leave A Reply